November 2 – Day 57: The Days Dwindle Down to a Precious Few


Today’s title comes from Kurt Weill and Maxwell Anderson’s “September Song,” a song I really did not like when I was younger, but which I’ve come to love more and more over the years. Must be something about having fewer days ahead than behind. (well, that took an unexpected turn … )

 This is the version by Walter Huston, who introduced the song in Knickerbocker Holiday, playing Peter Stuyvesant and singing and dancing while wearing a peg leg.

Anyway, today was a slow day. It was nice weather outside, even if it was overcast. I had the windows open all night, and was awakened by John and some Irishman having an extended and detailed conversation about something right outside my window. It wasn’t annoying, by any means, though as much as I tried, I just couldn’t figure out what they were talking about.

I farted around some on my phone before getting up, then headed to 7-Eleven for a paper, Tompkins Square Bagels for a sesame bagel with cream cheese, and Starbucks for a tea. My goal was to come back home, get all caught up with the blog, write thank you notes to my fellow company members, then walk to the theatre.

When I got back, there was a couple having an argument over something. He was on the stoop, having just left the building, and she was standing at the vestibule door, waiting for someone inside to let her in. She was obviously in some distress, and seemed a little chemically altered. She was carrying a copy of The Courage to Change, which is an AA text, so I assume that had something to do with her state, but I didn’t feel I should pursue it. She apologized for being in my way, and as I unlocked the door, the unlocking buzzer went off, so I (again) assumed that whoever she was waiting for had let her in. I didn’t see or hear anything else, so I hope it’s all okay.

I achieved the first parts of my tasks (the eating and writing parts), but as for the walking, I’ve been thinking of possibly seeing a preview of The Prom on Sunday. I tried to buy a ticket online last night, but ran into the same trouble I’ve been having with Telecharge, so I decided I’d just go directly to the Longacre Theatre and save the service charges. I was going to walk up to 48th to do just that, but I realized that I’d need to take a backpack to the theatre tonight (to carry the thank you cards, an umbrella, and possibly bring home some of the t-shirts), and I really didn’t want to carry all of that for 40 blocks. I could still walk from the Longacre to 59, but that wouldn’t be too burdensome.

As it turned out, I just ended up taking the R to 47th and 7th in Midtown—right next to the TKTS booth—and when I saw that The Prom was up on the board, I decided I’d just buy my ticket there on Sunday. I also didn’t want to lock myself into seeing the show in case anyone from the show was interested in doing anything Sunday morning or afternoon. (I’ll find out tomorrow.)

I’ve said this before, but it bears repeating about how much I used to love Times Square—whenever I’d visit New York, I’d make sure that the last thing I’d do on my last night in town was walk through it and soak it all in—I really loathe being there now. It’s become a theme park and there are just too many people not knowing where they’re going or what they’re doing, too many crappy stores, and just too much of everything. I really try to avoid it now whenever possible.

With that in mind, my walk from 47th to 59th was just unpleasant. There’s a lot of construction that’s narrowing sidewalks, and some blockage of the streets because of the upcoming marathon on Sunday, so it was slower than usual. I took 6th most of the way, and when I walked by Fox News on 48th and 6th, saw they were setting up for the election on Tuesday, with a big “America’s Election Headquarters” structure. (I can only hope that they’re left really depressed in the wake of the voting.) I also noticed that there’s a big Christmas tree on the marquee of Radio City Music Hall, and that struck me as being there much too early. I’m assuming the tree is already up (if not unveiled) in Rockefeller Center, but that’s one of the last places I’m going to go, speaking of crowds …

When I got to the theatre, I saw that the box with the t-shirts had been delivered, so I picked it up, separated the orders, and placed shirts at the appropriate stations, along with my thank you notes. Trish got hers first and, as she threatened, cut it up to suit her, which was something I just couldn’t watch. They look really good when they’re not cut up, so I was delighted with the order. Custom Ink does good work.

As I’ve come to expect by now, the show was another good one. We’re sold out for the final three shows, and even though there were a couple of empty seats in the front row, everything else looked filled. It was an odd audience in that they laughed at some weird stuff. (There are a couple of character deaths that always get laughs, which always baffles me.) None of it was inappropriate laughter, but some of it came at times where we’ve never gotten reactions.

In doing a show at 59, which is a membership organization, cast members get honorary memberships and a ticket for a free drink. I hadn’t used my ticket yet, and figured I’d better use it tonight. (I’m not going to get a drink before or after Saturday’s matinee, and we’re going out as a cast after the final show Saturday night) Molly, who tends bar about half the time, was working tonight, and even though the place a chockablock with people who had seen the other show (and I swear, that cast is there every night, just swilling booze), she was able to make me a very good Manhattan, even though she had just run out of both bitters and Maraschino cherries. (Someone fetched more from downstairs, and she was able to complete the drink well after she’d initially served it.)

I was about halfway through my drink when I started to feel the first pangs of this whole adventure nearly being over. It had started to rain about 8:00, I guess, and looking outside and thinking over everything, I just got really sad. (I’m still feeling it a little, and will probably be feeling it a lot tomorrow.) It really was one of those clichéd occasions where someone is sitting in a bar, staring into a drink, and just thinking about things.

I finished the drink and left the theatre, and the skies opened up almost the moment I stepped out of the building. I had my umbrella, though, so I was fine. On my way, I thought about where I could go for supper. Yesterday, when I was walking to the river, I passed by a really nice looking place, the East Village Tavern. I looked it up on Yelp and it had five stars. Reading the menu, I saw that they have what’s supposed to be a really good burger, so I thought I’d head there. As I got out of the subway at Astor Place, though, I smelled grilling meat right there, and remembered there was a Shake Shack less than a block away, so I called an audible and decided to go there, figuring it would be less crowded than a bar. (And I can always hit the tavern on Sunday or Monday, when it’s likely to be less chaotic.)

By the time I got to the Village, the rain had pretty much stopped, but since it had rained, the street was less busy than I’d expect for a Friday night, so it wasn’t too unpleasant to walk. I got home, watched TV, wrote this, and was generally thankful that the rain is keeping people out of the streets and shouting at each other tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 18 – Day 12: A Dessert with Ap-peal

September 27 – Day 21: “Oh, the Autumn …”

October 28 – Day 52: Baseball Pain (based on a Series loss)